Saturday, January 28, 2012

Campus Walkabout



I decided to take a walk around campus today to get my bearings, but I was really out to see a kangaroo. The first picture I took was of some poop. Yes, poop. I was fresh on the tracks of a kangaroo, or so I hoped it was kangaroo poop. I didn’t see any nearby, so I took my journey inward towards the center of campus. On one of the lawns I found a sculpture set up to look like pages from a book floating around and each one had a good quote that was relevant to Uni (what everyone calls college/university). Then, all of a sudden, a bunny ran across the sidewalk in front of me! It turns out there are wild rabbits all over campus! I could never get close enough to touch one, but they were cute to look at. Then there was a random spaceship. Aliens have apparently invaded Aussie.








There are birds all over campus and most of them are pretty annoying. The crows catch me off guard because they sound like a real person sometimes and it’s freaky. The magpies, on the other hand, sound like a dying cat. I haven’t heard the Kookaburras singing yet, but I’ve heard they aren’t so bad to listen to.

On my walk, I was taking pictures of a couple birds and didn’t even notice a whole herd of kangaroos just hanging out (they sort of blend in to the landscape if you aren’t really paying attention). I got a couple good shots before they all scattered and was so excited that I FINALLY got to see some Roos! I even got to see a couple more right near my dorm on the way back, too. The Australians think it’s so weird that we are so fascinated with Kangaroos, but I don’t care. Apparently they are fascinated with squirrels when they visit the US, so I feel like we are even.




On a side note, soda is pretty expensive here. BUT – they do still have Vanilla Coke! I’m pretty sure it doesn’t exist in the US anymore


1 comment:

  1. I want to s a kangaroo! I will have to take dax to t zoo so.

    ReplyDelete